Sunday, March 17, 2013

Nail Polish Challenge Week 24: Inspired By A Book!

The Disney equivalent to Valentine Morgenstern. LOL!
    I read a lot of books, at least three a month minimum. The most recent book that I have finished is City Of Glass, the third installment of the Mortal Instruments series by author Cassandra Clare. I have to say I have enjoyed this series so far. I feel young adult romance/fantasy novels are either usually really good or really terrible. It is hard for a series to capture my attention in that genre, but this one has managed to excite my brain. The story thusfar has had lots of twists and turns that I didn't see coming. A rare quality which I greatly appreciate. So this week's nail polish challenge theme is inspired by a book and I knew that I really wanted to do something based on this book.
The cover of the book.
    I will not spoil anything for those of you who have not read the series yet. However I will explain a little about the nail design I chose and what inspired it. In the books there is a fictional city called Idris which is where the majority of Shadowhunters (warrior humans with angel blood) live. It is kind of like their Vatican City. It is holy and ancient. It is famous for having tall clear glass looking pointed towers that glow faintly red and act as a barrier to keep demons out. The demons play a BIG part in the book. I knew instantly that I wanted to incorporate that factor into my polish choices. That is where my Essie Shine Of The Times comes in. The polish itself is a duochrome flakie top coat that adds different colors and dazzle to any manicure. It instantly reminded me of these demon lizard things, especially since when placed over darker colors the flakes are tinged with red, gold, and green with a luminous irradescence to it that reminded me of reptile scales. I decided to use my China Glaze Liquid Leather as a base coat because it is this deep ink black color and a lot of the demons themselves are mainly said to be black in color. So here is the finished look.
Note the green undertones in certain light.
    I think as far as a lizard demon inspired manicure goes this one does pretty well. Lol! I love my Shine Of The Times, but I don't use it as much as I like since I don't like how it looks over lighter polishes. Still it is a staple and one of the most unique polishes I have in my nail collection. Next week is fashion week so please look forward to that. Honestly I know nothing about fashion so it will be interesting to see what I can come up with. Until next week guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment