Monday, March 25, 2013

Fortune Cookie Soap Spring 2013 Review!

Fuck Yeah! The FCS spring line is here!
       Fortune Cookie Soap launched their official spring 2013 line on March 15th. The collection introduced 8 brand new fragrances all inspired by the scents of springtime. These new additions also showcase FCS's signature humor when it comes to naming their products. The eight new fragrances are A Nod To The Hippies, Dirty Hoe, Down To Earth, Honey-Dew Me, I Wet My Plants, Kiss My Vine, Late Bloomer, and The Birds & The Bees. I only purchased 4 of these scents because the other 4 scents had certain fragrances that I know I am not a fan of. (A Nod To The Hippies has patchouli, Dirty Hoe & Down To Earth are obviously earthy fragrances, and I Wet My Plants has jasmine and baby powder in it. Two scents I'm not fond of.) As I always do I only purchased the 4 scent body butter sampler pack. I like to smell the small individual samples and then chose whether or not the fragrances are worth buying in a full sized product. And without further ado here is my review...
All of this little haul's goodies.
Honey-Dew Me:
Color: Fluorescent Yellow
Scent Description: After I got done giggling at the name I opened this little guy and saw that the body butter was this really bright and vivid fluorescent yellow. Most of FCS's body butters come in these pale pastel shades, but this one is in your face neon yellowish green. It looks like it could glow in the dark. (Sadly it does not though) After I spent the next few minutes just being impressed with the color I finally smelt this and whoa mama is it good! Depite the name it isn't just a honeydew scent, it is more of a sweet melon scent. A lot of melon scents in general tend to pack a very strong punch, but this one is nicely toned down. It is a really fresh fruity fragrance. I get a mixture of honeydew and cantaloupe melons, and in the undertones I can even smell watermelon. The site mentions this one also has apples and vanilla bean. I do not smell those scents individually, but I believe the apples probably blended with the overall wonderful fruitiness and the vanilla bean is probably what rounds out the fruits from smelling too thick or powerful. This is a wonderful fruity scent that is both sweet and refreshing. Perfect for the springtime. 
It smells so wonderful!
Kiss My Vine:
Color: Cotton Candy Pink
Scent Description: This one is supposed to smell like strawberries and champagne. I can kind of see how it smells like that, but to be honest when I first opened this I had forgotten what scents were in this. So when I smelt it my first impression was that it smelt like a light floral fragrance. It wasn't until after I looked up the description again that I started to notice that yeah it does kind of smell like strawberries and champagne when you think about it. The champagne scent isn't overly strong or sharply alcohol smelling like I feel a lot of "champagne" fragrances end up smelling like. The strawberries aren't really all that fruity either. They mix and blend in with the champagne to the point where they are almost indiscernable. If you were blindfolded and asked what fruit was in this, you probably wouldn't have guessed strawberries...at least I know I wouldn't have. This is a feminine scent that reminds me of an expensive bubble bath. It is certainly a different take on a springtime scent, but it is nicely done.

Not your typical springtime scent, but still lovely.
Late Bloomer:Color: Mint Green
Scent Description:  I was a little leary about this one when ordering because it has Polynesian Hibiscus, ripe berries, white amber, and vanilla. The reason I was hesitant is because I cannot do strong florals, overly dark berry scents, or too woodsy earthy scents. Luckily this fragrance isn't any of those. The main note in this one is a vanilla that is warmed up by the white amber. I smell the faintest trace of a soft smelling flower, but that's it. I don't get berries in this at all. There is nothing fruity about this scent in the least. The scent throw on this one is kind of weak. You can't really smell it until you rub it into the skin. It kind of smells like a fresh, clean, and natural lotion to me. Not my favorite of the bunch, but it is still nice. 

It was nice, but not my favorite.
The Birds & The Bees:
Color: Robin's Egg Blue
Scent Description: The official description for this one is incredibly vague. The site just says "Dont worry, we're not going to give you "the talk". But we will give you a sweet and fruity FCS."...that's it. Needless to say I wasn't quite sure what to expect with this one. I will tell you the first thing I smelt was artificial strawberries. Not the signature Laffy Taffy kind that is in FCS other strawberry fragrances though. It also has this vanilla cream like base to it. So it is kind of like strawberries and cream. It kind of reminds me of one of those Creme Savers Hard Candies. It is fruity and sweet and oh so creamy. I also happened to get half a robin's egg bath fizzy in this fragrance as my free sample. The egg shape makes it so very cute.  


To wrap things up...
       In closing I feel like this year's spring line was great. I like that they took a different angle on their scents instead of doing the generic run of the mill flowers and peeps/jellybean candy type fragrances that a lot of companies tend to recycle year after year. I ended up liking all four of the scents that I purchased which doesn't happen often. Usually there is at least one that my nose ends up hating, but happily that was not the case this time around. If I had to reccommend one above all the others I would say go for Honey-Dew Me. It is just a fresh melon explosion and it is fruity without being too in your face. I love it! The scents that I purchased are all for sale currently on their website, but you guys better hurry and try them now and stock up before the summer line comes around. That's all for this year's first Fortune Cookie Soap review. I will be back with another one as soon as the summer line lauches. Keep looking back for my review of a Candles By Victoria Smore's Galore speciality candle. Until then take care guys and keep it pretty!



No comments:

Post a Comment