Wednesday, October 10, 2012

FCS: The Halloween Soap Box

Another FCS Haul!
      Hello folks! I finally received my Halloween Soap Box from my favorite bath company Fortune Cookie Soaps. You can no longer order just the Hallowen Soap Box, but you can buy the individual and full-sized products for a limited amount of time. You can find them all here. There are 10 things for me to review for you all today. You can see them all together in the picture below. And yes that is a tart in that picture, but it isn't from my beloved Candles By Victoria, this one is from an independant company known as Sentsory Overload and the company had a one time partnership with FCS just for this box. Seeing as I am a scream queen how could I possibly pass these little beauties up? 


All the swag except for the supposed Vampire Blood which they forgot in my box.
Grave Digger: Fortune Cookie Soap
           The card that came with my box says that this is supposed to smell like freshly dug earth. Now I first just want to point out the oxymoron of a soap smelling like dirt. It's kind of funny. Needless to say that's exactly what this smells like. It smells like wet soil and fresh grass. Almost has a gardener like quality to it. The soap even has little black crumbs on it that look like dirt. While I personally do not want to smell like mud, I can appreciate the novelty of this product. It is kind of mind boggling to think of a soap that smells like dirt. It certainly is a unique take on the Halloween spirit. As for the soap itself it is shaped like a fortune cookie and does have an actual fortune inside like all of their fortune cookie soaps. The fortunes themselves are usually funny and individual to each soap. I cannot tell you what my fortune was inside this one because it is tucked all the way inside where I'd have to break the soap if I wanted to see it and I don't want to do that just in case I want to give this away as like a gag gift. This particular soap though is a bit bigger in size than their regular line of fortune cookie soaps. Needless to say I probably wont ever use this, but I still think it is a cute twist to their Halloween line.
The color of this is actually more true in the first picture.
Scary Spice: OCD Hand Sanitizer
          This is supposed to be scented as a blend of pumpkin, apple, and caramel. When you first pop the cap open it smells like caramel banana. Really strange. I do not know why it smells like that at first, but once you actually get the product onto your hands and rub it in it smells like warm spicy pumpkin with a tiny hint of caramel apples. The pumpkin is really the main note of the fragrance though. This is a full sized product and the bottle is made out of hard plastic which is kind of a double edged sword. On the upside it wont break very easily and you wont have to worry about it busting in your purse, on the other hand though you can't simply squeeze the bottle to make the product come out. You have to tilt it and tap it against your palm. Not such a huge deal though just a little different than most hand sanitizers. After the product is rubbed in it doesn't have an alcohol scent to it that a lot of hand sanitizers have.The product does not dry my hands out either which is nice. These little guys even have a cute suprise in them. Floating in the container is a little fake black spider. Gives it a nice festive touch. I don't know how long I have just sat here tilting the container back and forth to watch him swim about.  Plus when I first read the name of this my brain immediatly thought of the Spice Girl. LOL. There was a mix up in my order however, instead of a bottle of Vampire Blood Body Wash which I was supposed to get that comes in a bottle identical this one only darker, they accidentally gave me two of these instead. So I gave the extra one to my mother and then she proceeded to watch the spider glide about. Such a simple, but genius idea really.  
View from the front.

View from the back with the spider.

Zombie Treats: Bath Fizzy
         I have to admit that I am most excited about this product. I will probably buy the full pack of 3. This is a bath fizzy that smells like a watermelon Jolly Rancher. Big deal right? Well it also GLOWS IN THE DARK! How awesome is that? It comes wrapped up just like one of those chocolate candies you get on Halloween and after you unwrap it, it doesn't really look like much, but put it close to the light for a little while then turn the light off and it glows! I have not put this in the bath yet, seeing as I wanted to get this up for you guys asap so you could place your orders before these went out of stock so I do not know for sure if these will make the bath water glow as well, but I do know that they will fizz up in your bath water and that they have oils and vitamins in it that are supposed to make your skin soft. As I have said before, I am not a bath person so much as a shower person, but this product actually makes me excited to get in the tub.   
What it looks like wrapped.

And unwrapped.

Ghost Gum: Hydrate Me! Bar
           This is one of their hydrate me bars that is shaped like a skull and it supposed to smell like a 50/50 Orange Cream Bar. I do not know what an Orange Cream Bar is, but to me this smells like orange vanilla ice cream. It has that sweet Dreamsicle quality to it. I don't really know why it is called ghost gum though when it is shaped like a skull and smells nothing like gum. I don't know if there is a Halloween candy that this is modeled after, but I've certainly never seen or heard of it. Still this one smells delicious. If you are a fan of orange and vanilla sherbert like scents then you will love this. The Hydrate Me! bars are really nice in general. You use them at the end of your shower when you are still damp and you just rub it all over your body and it locks in moisture and hydrates your body with soft oils. It kind of feels a bit like wax at first when you are rubbing it in, but the waxy feeling does eventually go away. While I like the hydrate me bars and the smell of this I don't think I love it enough to stock up on it. 
Shaped like a cute skull!
Headless Horseman: Bath Melt
         This is in the shape of a pumpkin because the Headless Horseman's head is replaced by a pumpkin. I like that they went with the Headless Horseman myth instead of just saying this is a pumpkin. The card says the scent on this is a tropical pumpkin blend, but when I smell it i just get a strong pumpkin scent with an odd unidentifiable note. I don't really feel it's tropical at all, but I can't say what exactly is the accompanying note I get along with the bold pumpkin smell. Personally not really a big fan of this fragrance, the pumpkin is a bit too strong for my liking and the "tropical" notes just rub me the wrong way. There is nothing bad about this scent it just isn't for me. However I know you pumpkin lovers out there will probably adore this. You just have to take a chance and try it for yourselves. This is a bath melt so you just drop it into your bathwater and it will dissolve and fill your water with nourishing oils and vitamins that will make your skin super soft. 
The Headless Horseman Rides Again.
Witches Wart Be-Gone: Clearly Complexion Face Mask 
             This is actually just one of their regular products (Clearly Comlexion Face Mask) re-named and with the color darkened. Still I don't mind that so much because their face masks work great! The clearly complexion lines are formulated to help clear up acne prone skin and like all of their masks it hydrates and tightens the skin. I have the original Clearly Complexion and I love it! It makes my skin feel so soft and smooth even if the application is a little messy. To use this product all you have to do is pick which activator you want to use. It has a list on the back of what all different ingrediants you can use (most of which can be found in your kitchen already) Depending on what kind of skin you have (dry, oily, combination, or acne) you can go through the list and choose which ingrediant will mix the best. Of course just plain water goes with all the skin types so you can just use that if you don't want to mess around with the milk, honey, tea etc..activators. A caution to the wise though, this is really kind of messy to apply and it dries rather quickly so you will want to spread it on your face as quick and evenly as possible. This will look ridiculous on your face as most masks do and you should leave it on your face for 10-15 minutes. Despite the mess though it will leave your face feeling softer, tighter (not dry though), and will look smoother. 
The front of the package.
Gremlins, Goblins & Ghouls OH MY!: Whipped Cream
          This is a small sample of their whipped cream body butters. It is the exact same size as the samples you would get when you order the 4 sampler pack.  It is a beautiful light purple color and it smells like grape Laffy Taffy. It is definitely an artificial grape candy smell. I adore the formula of FCS's body butters. They are my favorite body lotion of all time. It feels light and creamy, but once you rub it in which doesn't take very long it actually sinks into the skin and doesn't leave it with any filmy greasy tacky residue on the surface. I love how it instantly moisturizes my skin and makes it silky smooth and that my skin is instantly dry once I've rubbed it in. There is no slickness left on the top that most lotions has. I like the smell of this one even though I'm not a huge grape fan. The name is also a fun homage to both Halloween and The Wizard of Oz. I think I like the color most of all though since most of FCS's body butters are pastel colored and this one is a vibrant purple.
Smashed Pumpkin: Wax Tart
          This is something new and different for Fortune Cookie Soaps to do. They have not started making wax tarts, but this is a product from Scentsory Overload a small independant guest company. This is said to be made out of soy which according to the Scentsory Overload facebook page is supposed to burn longer and be better for the enviroment than bee's based wax. I don't know about that because I have yet to burn this, but we will see how it matches up to my beloved CBV tarts. This is supposed to smell like pumpkin and rum and that is indeed what it smells like. The main notes are a thick spicy pumpkin with a hint of rum although it does not have an alcohol smell you get the warmth from the rum itself. Overall it smells great! I don't really have a whole lot of pumpkin scents from Candles By Victoria so I can't really compare it scent wise to any of hers because the ones I do have smell nothing like this. I know this is supposed to be a sample product, but I'm not sure if it is half full on purpose or not. I really hope that's just because it is a sample because I would not purchase it if it were only half full. You can see in the picture below the comparisons between this shot and one of CBV's. The containers are actually the same size, but you get waayyy more product with the CBV scent shots. Because this is made of soy you can also see the difference in texture between the two as well. Will have to burn this one later to see how it stands up in strength compared to CBV. Scentsory Overload currently does not have an official website up yet (though they are working on it). However you can check them out on facebook or contact them through email at scentsoryoverload@gmail.com
As you can see CBV is filled to the brim.
     So that is all for this haul. While I am a little dissapointed that I did not receive my intended Vampire Blood Body Wash I do understand how such a mix up could happen. The Vampire Blood comes in the same kind of container as the Scary Spice OCD Hand Sanitizer so I can see how during the packing process they probably saw a dark cap and figured it was the Vamp Blood and just added an extra OCD by mistake. The free pack of Sixlets chocolate candies made up for any lingering sadness though. I felt just like a little kid again. Free chocolate! Such a cute touch to finish of the Halloween box. Overall I'm happy that I ordered this even though some things weren't exactly things I'd consider purchasing again like the Grave Digger fortune cookie soap or the Headless Horseman bath melt. Still I can appreciate their novelties and I'm glad I at least got to try them. The stand outs of this order are the Zombie Treats Bath Fizzy and the Scary Spice OCD Hand Sanitizer. I will more than likely cave and buy the full 3 pack of Zombie Treats before they are all gone. Anyways I hope you guys enjoyed this haul and found it somewhat helpful. Please look forward to my next 31 week nail polish challenge and also another future CBV haul and review.
Goodnight guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment