Monday, September 10, 2012

Pop Goes My Tart

I'm back with another CBV review!
       We meet again all my lovelies! So like the happy Loki gif says today I'm going to review for you all my second Candles By Victoria haul. I have nine scents to review for you all plus a little review on my tart warmer. A little note: I cut my tarts into fourths and only burn 1/4 of it at a time because these little guys are really strong and 1/4 of the wax is enough to scent the room for at least 5-6 hours.  Below is a picture of the scent shots I'm reviewing. Like I mentioned before I cut into them so they aren't so perrtyfulls anymore so sorry about that. Next time I will photograph them BEFORE I cut into them and burn them. Also please excuse their blurriness I need to buy a new camera. Anyways with all that being said let's get started shall we?


Stack of scent shots for this order.

What the tops of the scent shots look like.


Honey Orange:
Color: A burnt orange
On Cold Throw: When I first smelled this in the plastic container I thought it smelt like a citrus air freshener. Not a bad one mind you, but I definitely smelt the oranges first and they smelt really crisp and I don't mean in the fresh squeezed orange juice kind of way, but rather in a sort of clean almost aerosal way.

After Burning: When I burned 1/4 of this in my tart warmer it smelt sweet and I finally picked up the honey notes. There was no longer any air freshener smell to it at all. It just smelt like really sweet oranges. I feel like this one is great for summer days when I want a little pick me up and it's too hot for some of the other heavier fragrances I have.  I actually mixed a fourth of this with a fourth of Bath Time With Pooh and it made my room smell just like orange Starburst candies. It was a nice suprise find. 

Bath Time With Pooh:
Color: Golden yellow (Just Like Winnie the Pooh!)
On Cold Throw: In the container the first thing I picked up on is baby shampoo. That really was the main smell, but you get a tiny whiff of the honey, though if you didn't know there is supposed to be honey in it you'd probably just smell an undertone of something sweet. I didn't notice any of the toffee bits that are said to be in it though. I can't compare it to it's intended counterpart (Hint: comes from a store that rhymes with hush) since I have never owned or smelt any of their products, but I've heard it is almost an exact dupe only Victoria's scents are always stronger.

After Burning: It burns true to the cold throw. It's sweet baby shampoo. This one is actually one of Victoria's more "softer" burning scents; meaning that the aroma filled the room nicely, but the scent was subtle and didn't spread to any other parts of the house as most of her others tend to do. I feel like this fragrance has a very soothing kind of aroma and I like to burn it when I work. (I'm a personal nanny of a 6 month old baby boy)

Apple Jack N Orange Peel: 
Color: Burgandy maroon
On Cold Throw: It smells strongly of apples and cinnamon at first, but if you go back and take another sniff you get a whiff of the orange zests in there. It's faint, but it compliments the spiceness of the cinnamon and the sweetness of the apples. The cinnamon isn't a straight up hard cinnamon stick, instead it's like the sweeter kind that you bake with. The description on the site says that this has lemons in it too, but I don't pick up on them, but that's probably because the citrus in it is faint compared to the apple and cinnamon notes.

After Burning: This one also burns true to the cold throw, but it's a lot stronger. This one is one of Victoria's scents that not only fill the room, but all the others in the house as well. Not that the scent punches you in the brain, but it just sort of sits nicely in the background. My older brother actually came over when I was burning this and said excitedly, "It smells fantastic in here!" He was sniffing in the air straight up hound dog style. This scent actually turned out to be a big hit with the rest of my family members as well. I will probably be buying this for my brother in candle form for Christmas.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie: 
Color: Saddle brown
On Cold Throw: Accurately named. It smells just like if you held a fresh baked oatmeal cookie up to your nose. You can even smell the raisins in it! My dad came home while I was burning this and thought I was baking...he was dissapointed when I told him it was just wax...

After Burning: Burns true to the scent in the shot. I thought at first that this would be another one of the "softer" burning scents because on the cold throw it wasn't that strong, but boy was I wrong! Like with all the others I only burned a fourth of it and within ten minutes the aroma filled my bedroom so much that I actually had to turn it off. The scent even lingered all through the rest of the day and the next morning it was still there, but by then it was less overwhelming and more homey feeling.

Cinnabon:
Color: Saddle brown
On Cold Throw: Smells EXACTLY like a fresh baked cinnamon roll. You can even smell the sweet creamy icing! It's just like walking past the store in the mall. I honestly don't know how Victoria does it! This is absolutely delicious!

After Burning: You can really pick up the icing and the cinnamon dough when it burns. Dieters beware this one is not for the weak willed! It smells so yummy that my own will power broke down midway and I actually went to the store just to pick up some cinnamon rolls to bake. So you all were warned! Also this scent tended to linger longer than all the other ones I have tried so far, even longer than the oatmeal raisin cookie. My room smelt like cinnamon rolls for three whole days and I only burnt it once!

Marshmallow Campfire:
Color: The palest shade of pink. It's just this side of being white.
On Cold Throw: When I first opened this scent shot I thought it smelt vaguely of vanilla, not a strong rich vanilla, but like a light sweet vanilla. I couldn't put my finger (or nose rather) on what it smelt like exactly, but it didn't smell like a bag of Jett Puff marshmallows and I didn't pick up on any of the intended campfire logs. The cold throw on this one was actually a lot weaker compared to most of the others that I can actually smell through their containers. However, once I cut into this one to quarter it a really strong woodsy aroma overwhelmed the sweetness and proceeded to assault my nose. I didn't like it so much after that and hesitated on burning it.

After Burning: After I cut into it I was afraid I wasn't going to like this one, but I'm happy to say that once I burned a fourth of it the sweetness returned and blended nicely with the woodsy smell. In fact I actually smelt vanilla and what I think is a slight undertone of real marshmallow. This one is probably one of the most unique fragrances out of this order other than Twilight Woods and it lives up to its name. It did fill the entire house, but the aroma wasn't obtrusive or in your face. I actually ordered Peanut Butter Cookies so that I could mix the two and make Fluffer Nutter and I'm happy to say they mixed well together and smelt like the actual sandwhich.

Twilight Woods: 
Color: Deep purple/ eggplant
On Cold Throw: I actually own the original Bath & Body Works Twilight Woods in both their perfume and lotion forms so I can say that this is an EXACT dupe for that. I was not dissapointed when I got my scent shot. For those of you who aren't familiar with the B&BW product, let me try to explain what it smells like. Perfume scents are really hard to describe, but it smells like a walk in the woods where sweet fruits and flowers grow. The "earthy" element in it doesn't smell like you ran face first into an oak tree, but somehow more like the air you would breathe in standing at the edges of the woods; so you get the faintest scent of nature without the heavy dirt and tree scent that is sometimes too masculine. There is a fruity undercurrent which I believe is the apricot, though truthfully I'm not exactly sure on what apricot smells like, but it gives it that sweet enchanting element.

After Burning: If you like earthy type scents, but still want a decidedly feminine scent without it being too heavy and smelling like a lumberjack or gardener then this is the scent for you. I was worried that this one would be really overpowering since it is a perfume type fragrance, but I was pleasantly suprised to find that that wasn't the case. I didn't find this one cloying at all and it wasn't an assault to the senses either. This one was even father approved.

Spellbound: 
Color: Deep purple/ eggplant
On Cold Throw: This was one I wanted just for the name and after reading its description I decided to get it. This one is really super sugary, like almost overwhelmingly sweet. When I first opened it I could smell the maple and cotton candy instantly. It's really syrupy sickeningly sweet at first and I don't smell any of the apple notes it is said to have in it. This one is also kind of strong on cold throw and isn't for the faint of nose.

After Burning: After burning a quarter of this I was happy to find that unlike it's cold throw it wasn't as sickeningly sweet as when I cut the tart. It was still really sugary sweet, but not nauseously so like it was before. Somehow this one kind of reminded me of Caro syrup and spun sugar. Although I'm still not the biggest fan of this one I would still recommend it to those of you out there who love really syrupy sweet smells.

Island Kiss: 
Color: Dark raspberry
On Cold Throw: This was the free scent shot that I received with my order. First thing that came to mind with this one was tropical flowers. It's kind of hard to describe past that. All I can really say is that is smells like sweet flowers that one would find in Hawaii or some other vacation worthy place. I'm really not a big fan of floral type scents. They tend to overwhelm my senses, but I actually don't mind this one. The scent is soft and nice like an island breeze where wild flowers bloom and it isn't cloying.

After  Burning: It burns pretty much true to the cold throw. It was breezy sweet tropical flowers. As I said before I'm not big on florals, but I will say that this one smelt nice and not like I was suffocating in an old ladies perfume. Sadly though, I had to turn this one off after about 30 minutes because it filled the room and was starting to give me a headache. Still I didn't mind the smell of it so much, but I did end up giving it to my aunt in the end who enjoys soft floral fragrances.

Note the cord is in the front.

The Tart Warmer:
       I also bought the black marbled tart warmer that Victoria sells on the site. It works well and I really have no complaints about it other than the fact that the cord is REALLY short and that its attached in the front of the warmer instead of the back. I've never seen one that does that before. Because of the short cord length it really kind of limits the places that I can put it, but I guess you could always use an extension cord if you needed to. The only other thing is that it is a tad on the expensive side for how small it is. (It's $15.95) Still it isn't a deal breaker since this little baby does the trick. I do like that the top half is just a simple disc shape so it makes it easier to get the left over wax out after I pop the top into the freezer for about 10 to 15 minutes. It usually just pops right out after I take it out, but if it wont you can just take a butter knife in the side and pry it out pretty easily. Below is a picture of what the leftover wax looks like after it's been frozen and popped out of the warmer.


A disc of the left over wax.

   So that concludes this little review. Overall I have to say that I'm really happy with this order. Candles By Victoria just continues to suprise and fascinate me with their amazing products. I've already made a list of all the scents I want to try for my next order, but first I'm waiting until the order I placed on September 1st during their 15% off sale arrives. On Friday the UPS man stopped in front of my house and I got really excited until he walked over to my neighbors house. Alas, I will just have to wait for him another day... Anyways I hope you guys enjoyed this and look forward to my next CBV review which I am already working on for you. Until next time guys take care!

UPS man why you no stop at my house?!

No comments:

Post a Comment