Sunday, September 16, 2012

Fortune Cookie Soaps Haul & Review

You mean a post not about Candles By Victoria?!!
       Yes, you read right my friends an actual post about something other than my love for Candles By Victoria! Instead I'm going to obsess over another one of my favorite companies Fortune Cookie Soaps. For those of you not familiar with the brand let me tell you a little bit about them. FCS is a company that sells homemade bath and body products. They pride themselves on making their products with raw materials that don't have any harmful components in them like parabens, sodium lauryl sulfate, synthetic preservatives, ect... They also do NOT test on animals! They get their name because their main product is a small handmade soap in the shape of a fortune cookie. They even have hilarious fortunes on the inside. You can even have it packaged in a cute little take out box that come in different colors for just $0.75! (Note the picture below) FCS has many other products under their belt such as shampoo & conditioner bars, milk baths, bath melts, clay masks, air freshener, hand sanitizers, and even lip balms. The list goes on, but I digress. FCS also has unique fragrances like Blueberry Flapjacks, Butterpopcorn, Hot Apple Cider, and more. Another trademark of the brand is their clever names and descriptions for some of their products. (Unicorn Farts, Banana Hammock, Hubba Hubba, Boy Toy, That's What She Said, OMGWTFudge-Banana!...to name a few)

Some of Fortune Cookie Soaps Products.
     I have been ordering from FCS for about a year now and am always amazed with their products. Not only are they really high quality, but they are pretty decently priced too. Plus, the shipping is always super fast! My all time favorite product of theirs is their Whipped Cream Body Butters. What they are is basically body lotion, but the formula is so light and creamy it feels like Cool-Whip. I love these because I have really dry and sensitive skin and these little miracle workers soak into my skin instantly without any sticky tacky greasy stuff left on the surface of my skin. And because they don't have any harsh chemicals in them they don't irritate my skin at all. The first body butter I ever purchased was Pretty In Plumeria which was a nice soft floral. Now as I've said I don't care for florals all that much, but this one was soft and smelt similair to Bath & Body Works's Plumeria. I loved it so much that when I ran out of that one I then ordered one in Macintosh Apple that smelt EXACTLY like a just cut fresh macintosh apple. There wasn't any artificial apple smell to it at all. Well I have almost used it all up. I can maybe use it two more times and that's about it. So saddened I looked back on the website to try and pick a new one. Now the thing about FCS is that only a few of their scents are always for sale, however most of them are limited edition for that season. So my Pretty in Plumeria was a spring scent and the Macintosh Apple was from last fall. Meaning that now I had to choose a brand new scent to try because those ones were no more. 

   So I was looking on the site which at the time was full of all their summer scents. There were quite a few that sounded good, but there wasn't one that really jumped out and said "PICK ME! PICK ME!" like the other times I had ordered. I debated on which one to get for like a week before I remembered that FCS has a small sample back you can buy and pick 4 scents of your choice that way you can test them in travel size before deciding which ones you want in a whole jar. So I finally narrowed it down to just 4 scents and I also decided to purchase one of their new lip balms as well.  Plus every order comes with a random free sample of one of their other products. Below is my review. 

My small FCS order.


Cupcake: 
Color: Pastel Yellow
           This is one of FCS's permanent fragrances and it is also one of the customer's favorites. For a year now I've been eyeing this one, but I've always decided not to get it for fear that it would smell too sugary sweet. While I am a fan of sweet scents my nose has a very fine line to where certain scents just become sickeningly sweet and kind of make me wanna gag. Needless to say I was a little weary about this one, but I can happily say that although it is sweet it doesn't smell like a pre-teen girl's cheap body lotion. (Come on you know you had one of those Wall-Mart $2.00 lotions, admit it!) This one smells like light fluffly vanilla cake batter with vanilla icing. I almost want to say there is a hint of almond, but it is really really faint. I really like that this scent is really soft and subtle on the skin and that you have to be pretty close to smell it. I don't really like body lotions that everyone can smell from two blocks away. I'm kind of protective of my personal space and so I don't really like people I don't know being able to pick me out of a crowd because they know my signature scent. I only want people I'm close to, to know how yummy I smell. Yeah, I'm weird like that...
Moving on then...


Pinky Swear:
Color: Pastel Pink
           I chose this one because of the adorable description. It said that this one was created to be reminiscent of childhood crushes, best friends, dress-up, and of course pinky swears the most binding of oaths! I was kind of sold after that.  I have to say that they did a fantastic job of bringing me back to when I was a little girl. This one is really girlie and feminine. It smells like candied banana runts and strawberry laffy taffy. This one is such a light and fun candy fragrance. It makes me giddy just putting it on!

What the sample body butter looks like.

Summer Sweet Tea: 
Color: Light Mint Green
          I have to say I bought this one because the description intrigued me. This one is supposed to be a blend of green tea and pink lemonade. Being the curious person I am I sat and wondered what the combination would be. I am an avid drinker of green tea and really don't think there is that much of an aroma to it and we all know what pink lemonade smells like. So I just couldn't imagine what the end product would be to such a mixture. Now that I have it I can tell you all. This actually has a really fresh clean quality to it. It is almost spa like I feel. It isn't really a sweet smell like I had originally figured it would be. There is a calming herbal top note paired with a crisp clean hint of lemons for a base note. I'm suprised to find that I think I like this one the best of the bunch. Normally I love sweet, fruity, food based fragrances, but this one is just so refreshing and rejuvinating that I feel like whenever I'm sick of my usual go to sweetness smells this one will definitley be the one I reach for.

Strawberry Blondes Have More Fun: 
Color: Pastel Pink
          Now I'm not for sure, but I believe this is also going to be one of their permanent products. I'm guessing that since this one has stayed on the site for quite a long time now while the other limited edition ones have been taken down. Anyways the description says this is supposed to smell like fresh cut strawberries and while it is most assuredly a strawberry scent it is not a fresh crisp strawberry. The first thing that came to my mind when I sniffed this was Strawberry Laffy Taffy. That's EXACTLY what this smells like! A light and sweet artificial candied strawberry. I like this one, but I think I prefer Pinky Swear soley because it has the added banana that gives it a really nice girlie touch.

Green Applemint Lip Balm: Note the shape!
Green Applemint Lip Balm:
Color: The outside packaging is a lime green and apple green striped print. The actual balm is white and goes on clear like most average chapsticks. 
Shape: One thing to note about FCS lip balm is that the shape is oval and not the standard circular shape. It is shaped this way to make application easier. Personally I think most lip balm/chapstick is easy on application so I didn't really see that it made that big a difference. Still it glided on easily and I have no complaints about it.
         Lip balms are a fairly new product of Fortune Cookie Soap and as an admitted lip balm/chapstick hoarder I am always on the look out for a new favorite. I have tubes of all different shapes and brands strewn about all over the place, on my night stand, in my purse, on my computer desk, in my make-up drawer in the bathroom, ect... However I have yet to find a brand that works better than Burts Bees. With that being my HG chapstick I am always comparing any other lip product to that. And I have to say while the Burts Bees continues to be my all time fave this one comes in a close second! I was super impressed. Like Burts, this one is also made with natural ingrediants and of course bees wax (The allergic beeware!) so the silky smooth formulas feel the same on the lips. It glides on like BUTTAH! As the name suggests the one I have smells like a granny smith apple with a hint of sweet mint. If you've ever had the green apple Mentos it smells just like that! The balm has a slight tingle to it because of the mint, but it's nowhere as strong as the tingly sensations you get with Burts Bees. You can feel it sink into your lips, moisturizing them, instead of with some others where it just feels like you put jelly on your lips. There are only three downsides to this product. First is that the smell doesn't last very long after you apply it (The product still stays for a long while though). Second is that while it is still a great repairing lip balm I feel that Burts Bees is better. It is a bit more powerful than this one. And the last may not be a downside to some of you, but to me it is and that is that it has no taste. Not even a little bit of mint. Once again at least my beloveded Burts Bees has a slightly pepperminty taste to it. In the end I do still love this product and am even thinking about buying one in Cupcake next time.  

My free sample of a Pool Party Hydrate Me! Bar. 
Pool Party Hydrate Me! Sample: 
Color: Light Aqua Blue
           Got this little baby as a free sample with my order. Their Hydrate Me! Bars are another of their fairly newer additions so I had not tried one of these before. This is a body conditioning bar that is supposed to be used near the very end of your shower and like it's name it is supposed to hydrate your skin and make it feel silky smooth with natural oils and vitamins. The sample that I recieved is in the fragrance Pool Party and I have to say that the description on the website was a little bit less than vague! It basically said that this scent was what they thought celebrity pool parties would smell like, but they don't tell you any particular fragrance that is supposed to be in it. Honestly now that I have it I can see why. This is such a complex scent to describe that when I first got it I thought it smelt great, but I couldn't figure out what it smelt like exactly. Puzzled, I went around the house and asked my mother what she thought it smelt like and she couldn't come up with anything either. Finally my dad came to the rescue and said that he thought it smelt like the blue powder form of Gatorade and funny thing...he was right! It smells somewhat fruity, but it's not a fruit I can pick out. I want to say it is something citrusy and the only thing that came to mind was grapefruit, but it doesn't smell exactly like that. This has a fresh, crisp, sweet yet tart smell to it. Gah! It's so complicated!! The name matches it pretty well since I do think this matches pool weather and all that, but don't be alarmed it doesn't smell like cholorine or pool toys! 
          As for the bar itself it has these really cute turqouise microglitter flecks in it. I'm not really a huge fan of glitter unless it is in eyeshadows, but this one wasn't so bad. It's kind of subtle on the skin and it doesn't look like you just got back from raving with Tinkerbell. This sort of feels alot like wax when you are rubbing it on in the shower. Wasn't really a fan of that since I felt like it wasn't washing off, then I realized that the product was off that's just how my skin felt. So after I dried off my skin felt pretty soft and smooth and I didn't have to put on any lotion like I normally do so it definitely did it's job. The scent I found smelt like a clean smell on my skin and was really very faint. While I probably wouldn't buy this one on my own I think it is a pretty good product and the scent wasn't too bad so I might try this in another fragrance, preferrably one that doesn't have glitter flecks in it. If you have really dry skin like I do or if you take scalding hot showers like I do then I'd reccomend this to use before you get out because it did repair my skin and make it feel silky smooth.
                 
       Overall I do like all of the products I purchased and I will definitely be using them all up. I feel I got my money's worth so I'm pretty happy. However while I liked all the body butter scents there still wasn't one that I HAD to have in the full size. So what I'm going to do is order another sampler of the fall fragrances and hope that there will be one that just steals my attention. I tend to love fall scents more than any other and they usually have a lot of apple scents for fall and I know I LOVE apple scents! So looking forward to that. When I get my next order I will review that for you guys too. And fear not my CBV addicts I will return with another scent review for you all soon. Farewell until we meet again my lovely friends!



1 comment:

  1. Such cute products!
    Follow me? chiccupcake1.blogspot.com
    -Jen <3

    ReplyDelete